Skip to main content

I don’t feel extra joy at beating Chelsea

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho said his risky tactical approach had been vindicated after his side stunned Premier League leaders Chelsea 2-0 on Sunday. Facing his former club, Mourinho rested top scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic and charged Ander Herrera and Matteo Darmian with the task of man-marking Chelsea dangermen Eden Hazard and Pedro. Chelsea were successfully nullified, failing to register a single shot on target in a league game for the first time since 2007, and now lead second-place Tottenham Hotspur by just four points. “Maybe we didn’t ‘rest’ players ahead of Thursday (when United play Anderlecht in the Europa League), we just chose the team we thought was the best team,” Mourinho told Sky Sports at Old Trafford. “We went to Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup with the same tactics (when United lost 1-0). “The game was totally controlled with 11 players, only the decision that made us play with 10 men for the second half and 10 minutes in the first half gave Chelsea a chance to be dominant. “We knew that playing this way would be very difficult for them.” In United’s 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Chelsea last month Herrera was sent off in the first half after being shown a second yellow card for a foul on Hazard. This time he was United’s match-winner, setting up Marcus Rashford’s seventh-minute opener and netting with a deflected shot early in the second half. Herrera, who denied deliberately handling the ball prior to setting up Rashford’s opener, said United’s display had been “almost perfect”. Mourinho was goaded with chants of “Judas” during United’s FA Cup defeat at Stamford Bridge, but he said he took no special satisfaction from getting one over on his former club. “I don’t feel extra joy at beating Chelsea,” he said. “We beat the leader. It doesn’t matter if the leader is Chelsea or another. We beat them convincingly. Nobody can doubt our credit to win the game.” Beaten manager Antonio Conte took responsibility for Chelsea’s defeat. “They deserved to win because they showed more desire than us, more motivation,” said the Italian, whose side face Tottenham in the FA Cup semi-finals next weekend. “In this case, the fault is the coach. It is mine. In this case I wasn’t able to do the right motivation. “To play this type of game from now and until the end, we must have great enthusiasm, great motivation to try to reach the target.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Kaduna killings: SERAP drags FG to UN

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has petitioned Ms. Agnes Callamard, Special Rapporteur on extra-judicial, summary or arbitrary executions, urging her to “prevail on the Nigerian authorities to halt further killings of innocent citizens in Southern Kaduna.” The group also demanded investigation into recent alleged killing of over 800 citizens, mostly women, children and the elderly in that part of the country by suspected herdsmen, and to identify the perpetrators and bring them to justice, and to provide reparations to victims. The organization also asked Ms. Callamard to “request to visit Nigeria to conduct fact-finding mission into the circumstances surrounding the killings.” In the petition dated 30th December, 2016 and signed by SERAP executive director, Adetokunbo Mumuni, the organization expressed “concern that the killings of citizens in Southern Kaduna of Nigeria amount to serious violations of the rights to life; to security of the human person; to ...

Benue killings: I am not in a hurry to take decisions i

Following the killings, insecurity reports, accusations and counter accusations emanating from concern citizens of Nigeria over what they termed ‘kid glove’ treatment by President Muhammadu Buhari on the above burning national issues, Buhari on Thursday gave reasons why he remained calmed and not in a hurry to take decisions. The President at a dinner where he hosted chieftains of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Abuja on Thursday said he is fully aware of the issues confronting the country and that he is guided by historical antecedents. ChannelsTv quoted him to have said, “I felt I had to invite you to let us eat together and I tell you that I am sitting here very much aware of the problem in this country. I will always reflect on historical antecedents. “I decided to drop the uniform and come back here (to be President of Nigeria), so I have gone through it over and over again. This is why I am not in a hurry to do anything. I will sit and reflect, and contin...

Don Jazzy, Wizkid, Davido make Forbes list of richest Africans

Forbes Africa has released its list of Richest African musicians. The list was put together using factors such as endorsement value, popularity, show rates, sales, awards, YouTube views, appearance in newspapers, investment, social media presence, influence and others. Nigerian artistes, Don Jazzy, Wizkid and Davido, are among the top ten richest African musicians. The top 10 are; 1. AKON Akon has over 35 million albums sold worldwide. He has won numerous awards including five Grammy Award nominations and has 45 Billboard Hot 100 songs under his belt. He tops the list according to Forbes Africa. 2. BLACK COFFEE, SOUTH AFRICA The multi-award-winning artist’s real name is Nkosinathi Maphumulo. He was born in South Africa’s house music province, KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and raised in the Eastern Cape province, where Nelson Mandela hailed from, before moving back to KZN to study music. 3. HUGH MASEKELA, SOUTH AFRICA Hugh was born in Witbank, east of Johannesburg. He has released more than 43 ...