Skip to main content

US troops hunting LRA warlord Kony begin Central Africa pullout



US special forces on Wednesday began to pull out from Central Africa, ending a five-year hunt for brutal LRA warlord Joseph Kony, who is wanted for crimes against humanity.


The departure of the troops sent in to support an African Union regional force “will be completed a short while after it begins on April 26”, Charles Prichard, spokesman for the US Africa Command (AFRICOM), told AFP.

“A small contingent of US military personnel will continue to work in the area to complete logistical tasks… such as removing equipment. Those tasks will be completed by September 2017,” he added.

In late 2011, Washington deployed about 100 special forces to the Central African Republic to back up Ugandan soldiers tracking Kony, and 150 special forces airmen were added three years later.

One of Africa’s longest-surviving rebel groups, the Lord’s Resistance Army has terrorised parts of central Africa for 30 years.

Since being set up by Kony in 1987, it is accused of slaughtering more than 100,000 people and abducting 60,000 children who were forced to become sex slaves and soldiers.

After counting several thousand fighters a few years ago, it now has fewer than 100 dispersed across parts of the CAR, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Sudan and South Sudan.

Last month AFRICOM said it would wrap up the operation, which has cost $600 million to $800 million, even though Kony remains at large.


– LRA ‘in survival mode’ –

“The time has come to move forward because the organisation itself is really in a survival mode,” said General Thomas Waldhauser, head of AFRICOM.

Ugandan troops began to withdraw on April 19, saying that the mission to neutralise the LRA had been “successfully achieved” and that Kony “no longer poses any significant threat”.

A self-styled prophet, Kony launched his bloody rebellion in a bid to overthrow the Ugandan government and impose a regime based on his own version of the Ten Commandments.

He is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague for war crimes and crimes against humanity, where one of his commanders, Dominic Ongwen, is currently on trial.

Analysts as well as residents of eastern CAR fear that the departure of US and Ugandan forces will leave a security vacuum, enabling the LRA to resurface.

Although there are UN peacekeeping forces from its MINUSCA mission in Central Africa, very few of them are present in the east of the country.

“This withdrawal will lead to a renewal of LRA attacks in the southeast,” warned Thierry Vircoulon, a specialist on central Africa at the French institute for international relations IFRI.

But US spokesman Prichard said “AFRICOM remains committed to our partners in the region and will continue to work with them to find solutions to security challenges in the region.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don Jazzy, Wizkid, Davido make Forbes list of richest Africans

Forbes Africa has released its list of Richest African musicians. The list was put together using factors such as endorsement value, popularity, show rates, sales, awards, YouTube views, appearance in newspapers, investment, social media presence, influence and others. Nigerian artistes, Don Jazzy, Wizkid and Davido, are among the top ten richest African musicians. The top 10 are; 1. AKON Akon has over 35 million albums sold worldwide. He has won numerous awards including five Grammy Award nominations and has 45 Billboard Hot 100 songs under his belt. He tops the list according to Forbes Africa. 2. BLACK COFFEE, SOUTH AFRICA The multi-award-winning artist’s real name is Nkosinathi Maphumulo. He was born in South Africa’s house music province, KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and raised in the Eastern Cape province, where Nelson Mandela hailed from, before moving back to KZN to study music. 3. HUGH MASEKELA, SOUTH AFRICA Hugh was born in Witbank, east of Johannesburg. He has released more than 43 ...

EFCC denies raid on Dajuma Goje‎ home

The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, has denied reports that it raided the Abuja home of Senator Dajuma Goje. The EFCC in a statement signed by Wilson Uwujaren urged Nigerian and others to disregard reports that EFCC’s men on Thursday evening raided the home of Danjuma Goje, Uwujaren‎ in the statement said ”Please disregard online reports claiming the EFCC today April 20 raided the Abuja home of Senator Please disregard online reports claiming the EFCC today April 20 raided the Abuja home of Senator Dajuma Goje‎. The report is false as the Commission was not a part of any such activity.

China's green-trading rise puts world on notice

TOKYO -- China is fast emerging as a major force in emissions trading, and experts say that may work against Japanese companies. Now that the Paris Agreement -- a United Nations-backed accord aimed at reducing greenhouse gases -- has gone into effect, governments are expected to ramp up their efforts this year to curb emissions.