MAKURDI—NO fewer than 15 persons were feared killed in fresh crisis between herdsmen and farmers in Turan communities in Kwande Local Government Area of Benue State. However, the state Police Command claimed that two bodies had been recovered from the affected communities. Vanguard gathered that the renewed crisis has led to the disappearance of many persons, while several houses, huts and farmlands have also been razed in the besieged communities. According to a local in one of the affected communities, the crisis erupted early Sunday morning when suspected armed herdsmen invaded Ikyoawen, where four persons were reportedly killed and houses razed. The local said: “After that attack, they moved into Nzaav and Alaba in Yaav council ward, where over 11 persons were hacked to death and several houses burnt down by the herdsmen. “Though the affected communities have been deserted, we are still searching in the bushes for many missing persons, including women and children. “We also realised that the attackers have occupied the sacked communities without resistance. As we speak, several of the houses are still on fire.” Miyetti, police react Reacting, the National Coordinator of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, MACBAN, Alhaji Garus Gololo, said he was not aware of the presence of herdsmen in the affected communities. According to Gololo, “if anything is happening there, it would certainly be the handiwork of criminal elements, who are bent on frustrating the efforts of the government to ensure peaceful co-existence in the state.” When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Moses Yamu, who confirmed the attack noted that two deaths were recorded. Yamu said: “We heard that Alaba and Mande Ordue communities in Yaav council ward of Kwande council were under attack by suspected herdsmen. “Mobile policemen have been deployed to the area as two persons, including 65-year-old Keemo Anumen and 46-year-old Tervershima Dado, have so far been confirmed dead and their corpses deposited at the NKST morgue in Jato Aka.”
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has petitioned Ms. Agnes Callamard, Special Rapporteur on extra-judicial, summary or arbitrary executions, urging her to “prevail on the Nigerian authorities to halt further killings of innocent citizens in Southern Kaduna.” The group also demanded investigation into recent alleged killing of over 800 citizens, mostly women, children and the elderly in that part of the country by suspected herdsmen, and to identify the perpetrators and bring them to justice, and to provide reparations to victims. The organization also asked Ms. Callamard to “request to visit Nigeria to conduct fact-finding mission into the circumstances surrounding the killings.” In the petition dated 30th December, 2016 and signed by SERAP executive director, Adetokunbo Mumuni, the organization expressed “concern that the killings of citizens in Southern Kaduna of Nigeria amount to serious violations of the rights to life; to security of the human person; to ...
Comments
Post a Comment