Skip to main content

Pentagon suspects chemical weapons still at Syrian air base

The Pentagon believes the Syrian regime likely has additional chemical weapons stocks at the airfield struck by US missiles last week, but these were deliberately left untouched, an official said Monday.
US President, Donald Trump US intelligence experts assess Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s military is probably hoarding the weapons in munitions depots at Shayrat airfield near Homs in central Syria, the US military’s Central Command spokesman Colonel John Thomas said. President Donald Trump ordered a massive military strike on the air base last week, in retaliation for a “barbaric” chemical attack he blamed on Assad. “We suspected there was a significant probability there could be other chemical weapons which would be ready to go, weaponized in those facilities, and so we didn’t strike those,” Thomas told reporters. The chemical stocks were left untouched because the Pentagon did not want to risk unintentionally sending a plume of toxic gas across parts of Syria. Though the United States is confident Assad is stockpiling chemical weapons, intelligence analysts are not certain what these are. Under a 2013 Moscow-brokered deal, Assad was supposed to have dismantled Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal and ship it to Russia. The Pentagon has said it is sure Assad unleashed a chemical attack on April 4 that killed at least 87 civilians in the rebel-held Syrian town of Khan Sheikhun. “Our advice was to make sure we didn’t inflict any greater damage by touching any of the chemical weapons in the area,” Thomas added. “We were trying to degrade their capability to launch aircraft and to load them up with chemical weapons.” The Pentagon says the strike destroyed more than 20 Syrian jets but the military has come under criticism for not targeting Shayrat’s runways, amid reports regime planes were again using the base hours after the attack by 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles. Thomas said the runways were deliberately avoided because the United States was trying to draw a clear line that its military action was in response to the suspected chemical attack, and not signal a willingness to get more involved in Syria’s brutal civil war. US forces gave Moscow a heads up shortly before Friday’s strike, as Russian personnel and equipment were based at Shayrat under Russia’s ongoing military intervention to prop up Assad. Moscow reacted furiously to the US strike and immediately threatened to suspend a vital hotline established to avoid mishaps between the two powers in Syria. Thomas refused to confirm whether the so-called “deconfliction line” remains operational, but said that even without it, “there are still ways for the pilots to hail each other.” While US and Russian pilots can use radar to see each other, the lack of a direct line of communication would further heighten the risks of misunderstandings or accidents in Syria’s already crowded skies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don Jazzy, Wizkid, Davido make Forbes list of richest Africans

Forbes Africa has released its list of Richest African musicians. The list was put together using factors such as endorsement value, popularity, show rates, sales, awards, YouTube views, appearance in newspapers, investment, social media presence, influence and others. Nigerian artistes, Don Jazzy, Wizkid and Davido, are among the top ten richest African musicians. The top 10 are; 1. AKON Akon has over 35 million albums sold worldwide. He has won numerous awards including five Grammy Award nominations and has 45 Billboard Hot 100 songs under his belt. He tops the list according to Forbes Africa. 2. BLACK COFFEE, SOUTH AFRICA The multi-award-winning artist’s real name is Nkosinathi Maphumulo. He was born in South Africa’s house music province, KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and raised in the Eastern Cape province, where Nelson Mandela hailed from, before moving back to KZN to study music. 3. HUGH MASEKELA, SOUTH AFRICA Hugh was born in Witbank, east of Johannesburg. He has released more than 43 ...

EFCC denies raid on Dajuma Goje‎ home

The Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, has denied reports that it raided the Abuja home of Senator Dajuma Goje. The EFCC in a statement signed by Wilson Uwujaren urged Nigerian and others to disregard reports that EFCC’s men on Thursday evening raided the home of Danjuma Goje, Uwujaren‎ in the statement said ”Please disregard online reports claiming the EFCC today April 20 raided the Abuja home of Senator Please disregard online reports claiming the EFCC today April 20 raided the Abuja home of Senator Dajuma Goje‎. The report is false as the Commission was not a part of any such activity.

China's green-trading rise puts world on notice

TOKYO -- China is fast emerging as a major force in emissions trading, and experts say that may work against Japanese companies. Now that the Paris Agreement -- a United Nations-backed accord aimed at reducing greenhouse gases -- has gone into effect, governments are expected to ramp up their efforts this year to curb emissions.